Cornerstone Conference Prayer Network Newsletter – February 2014
Dr. Dan Woods, WIN Director
Scripture for February: “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!” Isaiah 5:19-20 NKJV
Director’s Message for February: How far has American popular culture removed itself from godliness? Consider Sunday night’s Grammy awards. Look beyond the obvious perversion of the “gay marriage” as performance art and the cultic performance of a backslidden Pentecostal worship leader to examine the lyrics of Follow Your Arrow sung by Kacey Musgraves, surprise winner in the Country Music category. Here is my summary: “Whatever you want to do, we celebrate.” [“So make lots of noise / Kiss lots of boys / Or kiss lots of girls / If that’s something you’re into . . . Say what you think / Love who you love / ‘Cause you just get / So many trips ’round the sun / Yeah, you only live once”]
All this weighed heavily on my mind as I started out early Tuesday on my 3 hour commute back to Virginia. For some momentary relief from the pain crushing my heart, I tuned to an old radio program via satellite. In a PSA (Public Service Announcement) at the end of a 1947 broadcast of American Family Theater, movie star Maureen O’Hara passionately pleaded with all Americans to establish a “Family Altar” in their homes. She ended by quoting the poet Alfred Tennyson: “More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.”
How far have we fallen since 1947? That same afternoon I caught this testimonial by a well-known female singer on I-Heart Radio (marketed at pre-teens and young teens, especially females): “Some people believe in God; I believe in music. Some people pray; I just turn the radio up.” Sin-glorifying radio, that is.
More than ever before, our culture manufacturers are calling their darkness light and our light darkness (Isaiah 5:19). More than ever before, we are in a war for our children’s souls with these agents of darkness.
What do we do? I keep hearing Christ’s warning that some who witness His miracles will ultimately experience a judgment “worse than Sodom’s” because they do not repent (Matthew 11:20). And Leonard Ravenhill’s powerful sermon titled Sodom Had No Bible also rushes to my mind. I am convinced that we must pray for a revival of repentance to sweep our land—beginning in our churches! Without such a revival, think what judgment lies ahead.
Daily Prayer Emphases for February
- SUNDAY – Pray for a revival of repentance to sweep into our churches.
- MONDAY – Pray for a miracle for the United States—that President Obama, the Supreme Court, and the members of Congress will prove to be friends of Israel, the innocent, and the institution of marriage.
- TUESDAY – Pray for every congregation and every minister in the Cornerstone Conference to practice “radical generosity” in tithing and in supporting missions.
- WEDNESDAY – Pray that discipleship will be a centerpiece of every congregation and every ministry in the Cornerstone Conference.
- THURSDAY – Pray that a hunger will arise in our churches to experience the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and fire as “power to witness.”
- FRIDAY – Pray for the Lord to direct and empower our Cornerstone Conference officials as they lead us forward in “Kingdom Expansion” through church revitalization, planting, & adoption.
- SATURDAY – Pray for a revival of repentance to sweep across our nation.
Suggestion: You may want to print this newsletter, fold it in half, & then use it as a page marker as you pray your way through the 2014 IPHC Link Prayer Guide.